Posts for tag: Video Capsule Endoscopy Screening
Colon cancer affects thousands of Americans. More than 95,000 people were diagnosed with colon cancer in 2016, according to American Cancer Society's statistics. One of the best ways to detect colon cancer is by visiting your Troy, MI, doctor for a video capsule endoscopy.
Video Capsule Endoscopy Screening:
This capsule has a small camera that's swallowed by patients and flows through their digestive system. This is a wireless technology that transmits several pictures using a small recording device. Your doctor downloads the images to examine if there are potential tumors, or sources of bleeding or pain.
It's a painless and non-invasive procedure that helps people detect early stages of cancer and is recommended for adults ages 50 to 75, according to the CDC.
In addition to colon cancer screening, this procedure detects:
- Inflammatory bowel disease (Crohn’s disease)
- Tumors in the small intestine
Colon Cancer Symptoms According to Your Troy Doctor:
Symptoms aren't always obvious. Here are the symptoms you need to keep an eye out for according to the doctors in Anchorage and Eagle River:
- Bowel Habit Changes: If you are suffering from Colon constipation, or diarrhea, for more than four weeks, that may be a sign of cancer.
- Incomplete Evacuation: If there are constant bowel movements, even if you've just had a bowel movement, then you need to contact your doctor.
- Fatigue: Colon cancer results in patients feeling weak and fatigued.
- Weight Loss: Unexplained weight loss.
- Blood in Your Stool: Hemorrhoids are usually accompanied by blood in stool, but may also be a sign of a more serious condition like cancer.
Scheduling an Appointment:
If you would like more information on video capsule endoscopy and how it can help you, don't hesitate to contact the doctors at Gastrointestinal Specialists. If you are in Troy, MI, call to schedule an appointment today at (248) 273-9930!